Quote of the Day
Quote of the Day provided by The Free Library
Cornfedtrouble: Fourth of July Sound

Cornfedtrouble

Check here for the latest on the road adventures of the Caribou Projects Discovery Team.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Volga, SD, United States

Friday, July 04, 2008

Fourth of July Sound

The first giraffe In France arrived In Paris on June 30, 1827. Gosh, I wonder what that was like. And, I wonder what is like that. (sic.)



diminished fifth

broken
sounds foreign as
giraffes in Paris haunt
dead syllables mouthed in muted
voices



from wikipedia, "The tritone (tri- or three and tone) is a musical interval that spans three whole tones. The tritone is the same as an augmented fourth, which in 12-tone equal temperament is enharmonic to a diminished fifth. It is often used as the main interval of dissonance in Western harmony,..."


and, in my other voice on New Verse News

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Andy Sewina said...

I'll take your word (and Wikipedia's) for that.
I liked the poem anyway!

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still pretty new to poetry and I am learning all the time. I have never read a poem that is written in diminished fifth. I read this out loud and the feel of the words in my mouth as I speak them is really interesting...and new.

Great poem. My beautiful african senyru is up at my place:
http://bevies-place.livejournal.com/31683.html

Bev

4:53 AM  
Blogger HL said...

This poetic form is cinquain, a 5 line poem with a syllable progression by line of 2,4,6,8,2 that I arranged in a 3 tone grouping of 3,8,11 syllable to get the sound--an attempt to appoint the uncomfortable background of the gift of a giraffe from the sultan to the king.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Tumblewords: said...

Interesting. Enjoyed the read!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

This is excellent,

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home